Can you make the right decision?



Today I went for a Mathematics ACE seminar/ project today, organized by Mr Colin Ton and Mr Chua Boon Woo. It is about using Mathematics to made the best decision possible by considering all the factors.

You can use it for any sort of situation. Be it to decide whether you should ask a girls out for dinner and ask her to be your girlfriend or whether to take a shoot in a game of soccer, etc.

It is very simple and I will try to explain it to you guys. Using the four operation +, -, x , /, we can easily form our equation.

First and foremost, we must first find our situation. I will use a simple situation.

Should I buy the mobile phone or not.

Legends( Variables) Scale

Cost of phone- C 1-10

How much do I need the phone-N 1-10

How much do I want the phone-W 1-10

Functions and Applications of the phone- FA 1-10

The variable can be divided into two parts. Negative( decrease the chance of me buying the phone) and Positive( increase the chance of me buying the phone).

Negative= Cost of phone, How much do I want the phone.

Positive= Functions and Application of the phone, How much do I need the phone

The operations we used must also correspond to whether the variable is negative of positive.

Negative= + and x

Positive = - and /

Now we can start our equation.

(FA+N)/ (C+W)= 0.1-10

0.1 is the minimum answer we can get from this equation

10 is the maximum answer we can get from this equation

Therefore, if the answer is more than 1, I will buy the phone. If the answer is less than one, I will not buy the phone.

This equation might seem easy enough to do but this is only because they are only a few variables. When there are many variable, the trouble will come.

I hope that you guys find this helpful and can finally made the better decision in any situation once you read this.

If you find this too complicated to understand, the easiest way to make the better decision is to consider all the advantages and disadvantages before making the choice as it will increase the chance of you making the right choice.

I find that this seminar is worthwhile as I get to bring away what I had learnt there and is able to apply it in life when I am making a choice.

I feel that going for courses and seminar solely for ACE purposes is wrong and incorrect as ACE are meant for you to learn something out of the class syllabus. You don’t do ACE just for the sake of doing it. You have to enjoy the course, enjoy the process and learn something from the ACE assignments.

Hence, I would like to conclude by reminding you guys that today is already week 6 and I hope that you guys will treasure the time left and complete all the ACE for this term.

0 comments:

Followers

Web Counter

hit counter
About Me
Name:Marcus Ong
Age:13
DOB:1 July 1996
Presents pls!!!
School:De La Salle
Hwa Chong Institution
Class:1o1 2o1

Wishes
New hp!
New laptop

Tagboard